1 reply to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I have a website, done in iWeb '09, published to my MobileMe account. The site has been working fine. I purchased WebCrusher yesterday, installed and optimized my site. Then published to MobileMe. My question is how do you really know that anything is different? The speed that a page loads depends on the browser, and the mood of the browser, internet speed, etc. Just wondering...

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:41 PM

I have a website, done in iWeb '09, published to my MobileMe account. The site has been working fine. I purchased WebCrusher yesterday, installed and optimized my site. Then published to MobileMe. My question is how do you really know that anything is different? The speed that a page loads depends on the browser, and the mood of the browser, internet speed, etc. Just wondering...

The web works by sending bytes back and forth between computers. Think of every character as 1 byte.

So the following word;

hello

Is made up of 5 bytes.

A web page is made up of your html code and your website content (text, images,external files). If you view the source of your website (View->View Source) you will see all the characters that make up your website plus all the external files that need to be retrieved as well. Images on your site are similar. To represent a pixel the amount of red, green and blue is represented by a series of numbers, each taking up bytes as well.

Think of your internet speed as a pipe that can only send through a certain amount of bytes per second. If the pipe was only big enough to send 1 byte/second and I tried to send the word Hello from my computer to yours, it would like 5 seconds to get all the way to you.

In the case of your website and how much text and images it contains, it will most likely be made up of hundreds of thousands of bytes. These bytes have to get sent through the pipe of your SERVERs and then through YOUR pipe. The less amount of bytes that need to be sent, the faster the entire message (aka the website) will get sent to you.

Since WebCrusher removes thousands of unneeded bytes from your website, the message (website) will of course be sent faster through the pipes, meaning the website loads faster. In addition, the browser has less processing to do over less amount of data.

Although there are faster and slower browser/computers, the majority of time is spent downloading the website content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users