1 reply to this topic

#1 Julles

Julles

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

How does Sitemap Automator handle http status 102? Sometimes I see a lot of these in the Rejected URLs section. 102 is not an error though.

The 102 (Processing) status code is an interim response used to inform the client that the server has accepted the complete request, but has not yet completed it. This status code SHOULD only be sent when the server has a reasonable expectation that the request will take significant time to complete. As guidance, if a method is taking longer than 20 seconds (a reasonable, but arbitrary value) to process the server SHOULD return a 102 (Processing) response. The server MUST send a final response after the request has been completed.

Methods can potentially take a long period of time to process, especially methods that support the Depth header. In such cases the client may time-out the connection while waiting for a response. To prevent this the server may return a 102 (Processing) status code to indicate to the client that the server is still processing the method.

If I have my timeout set to 120 seconds and the 102 status is returned after 60 seconds... what does SA do? I think it should wait the until my timeout is reached, since "The server MUST send a final response after the request has been completed". The rejected URLs section should then never show 102 status entries. Those URLs would either come in under my timeout, or error when my timeout is reached.

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

How does Sitemap Automator handle http status 102? Sometimes I see a lot of these in the Rejected URLs section. 102 is not an error though.

The 102 (Processing) status code is an interim response used to inform the client that the server has accepted the complete request, but has not yet completed it. This status code SHOULD only be sent when the server has a reasonable expectation that the request will take significant time to complete. As guidance, if a method is taking longer than 20 seconds (a reasonable, but arbitrary value) to process the server SHOULD return a 102 (Processing) response. The server MUST send a final response after the request has been completed.

Methods can potentially take a long period of time to process, especially methods that support the Depth header. In such cases the client may time-out the connection while waiting for a response. To prevent this the server may return a 102 (Processing) status code to indicate to the client that the server is still processing the method.

If I have my timeout set to 120 seconds and the 102 status is returned after 60 seconds... what does SA do? I think it should wait the until my timeout is reached, since "The server MUST send a final response after the request has been completed". The rejected URLs section should then never show 102 status entries. Those URLs would either come in under my timeout, or error when my timeout is reached.

That is not what a 102 error means to Sitemap Automator. It means the connection to the server has been lost unexpectedly such as if your Internet connection goes down for some reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users