8 replies to this topic

#1 Tribulatio

Tribulatio

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 10:01 AM

I was already the owner of other RAGE software, so I confidently bought this new product. Highly welcome, since DomainTracker (which I used previously) is not longer updated and sometimes has problems updating.

I entered a list of 102 domain names, which I entered using the CSV import. I imported only the domain names, in order to make sure I would not import any erroneous information and it would be all "fresh" and clean.

Import worked well. However, I realized there was apparently no way to enter the information (i.e. registration and expiry date) for all the domains together, I had to do it individuallly for each domain. Not a lot of work for 102 domains, however, with DomainTracker, this could be done in bulk.

Hence my question: is there or will there be a way, after I renew some of the domains, to launch an update scanning all the domain names and updating them where needed? How should this be done? Would it work if I would select all domain names, and then click on "Upédate all domian details"? If there is no way to do it already, it would be really nice to introduce it.

Then a request: while there is no problem for getting the information regarding .com, .net, .org, .biz, .us and .info domain names, there seems to be no way to get it for country names such as .ch, .be, .cn, .in and .fr. It would be really nice to have at least some additional country domain names taken into account!

Anyway, a nice and promising application, thank you for developing it!

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

You can already select all the domains and press the Update Domain Details button. This will update the expiration/creation dates and all other details you see.

Since we can only support domains whose registrar provide the appropriate details, we will have to evaluate the above top level domains to see if we can get the information for them. We have already added support for a few more top level domains for the next release. I will see about adding the ones you have requested.

-- Edit

After further inspection it looks like we will be able to support .be, .cn and .in details for the next free update. .ch and .fr domain information is not provided to the extent that we can retrieve creation and expiration dates.

#3 Tribulatio

Tribulatio

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

You can already select all the domains and press the Update Domain Details button. This will update the expiration/creation dates and all other details you see.

OK. I made an attempt to do that, but I saw that it was never completing the task for those domains which are not active (i.e. which have no welcome page, at least a temporary one): it was turning endlessly. So I was wondering.

After further inspection it looks like we will be able to support .be, .cn and .in details for the next free update. .ch and .fr domain information is not provided to the extent that we can retrieve creation and expiration dates.

This is encouraging, thank you!

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

Can you give me an example of a domain that never stops spinning? I will see if I can reproduce it here and fix the problem.

#5 Tribulatio

Tribulatio

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:15 AM

Can you give me an example of a domain that never stops spinning? I will see if I can reproduce it here and fix the problem.

Sorry, I was out of country and could not reply earlier to your question.

An instance of a domain spinning endlessly is: www.asiascope.info. Data is recovered correctly, but the image area spins with no end (whether the domain is checked individually or all are checked together).

I have also noticed two other bugs:

1) a minor one: for a number of domains which are not active, there is an image associated with another domain which becomes associated with those domains.

2) a more serious one: for some (not all) domains with names which are not recognized (yet) by Domainer, such as .ch or .cn, instead of remaining blank (as it is - correctly - for some other domains with unrecognized TLDs), dates of creation and registration associated with another domain are provided. This can really become misleading, since wrong creation and registration dates are then provided! I will send to you privately screen captures showing what happens.

I hope that you can solve those bugs. Domainer is really a fine product. It will now replace DomainTracker for me, since DT is no longer kept up to date - too bad, it had the potential of a really fine product, and I would suggest that you get inspiration from it for some functions: e.g. a button allowing to update all domains, without selecting them first.

Best wishes for Domainer!

#6 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

I sent you a new beta version to see if you have the same issues. Please let me know if you still see these problems.

#7 Tribulatio

Tribulatio

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

I sent you a new beta version to see if you have the same issues. Please let me know if you still see these problems.

Thank you. Unfortunately, no, it has not solved any of the problems. I have sent to you a report via private mail. If there is any log file you would need to check, let me know

Regarding the endless spinning, I think I have now isolated those cases in which it takes place:

1) when I update all domains together, the first and the last of the some 100 domains on my list spin endlessly, even if Domainer remains on for one hour.

2) when I introduce a new domain, the image area spins endlessly in case there is an inactive domain, for which there is no image. However, the problem does not seem to reoccur on future updates - such domains spin for some time, but finally stop.

I hope that you will be able to solve those problems for the next update. I am on iMac G5, with Tiger.

#8 Tribulatio

Tribulatio

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

I am glkad to report that the newest release brings several improvements. The addition al TLDs .in and .cn work correctly now. Regarding .b, only half way: registration date appears, but no expiration date.

The spinnng problem persists, although, ironically, not the first domain listed: this time, it stopped to spin after a few secunds, but all the other domains (about 100) continued to have the spinning going on in the image field - after waiting for 15 minutes, I just closed and reopened. When dealing with domain updates individually, it seems that the spinning affects only those domains which are not active.

The problem of association between non-active domains and domain views borrowed from other websites, nearby on the list, persists. In some cases, updating the domain individually solves the problem, in some other cases it does not.

But I would say that, regarding the major functions for which Domainer is meant (after all, the list is more important than a view of the first page of a domain), this is definitely on the right way. It serves its purposes for most of the major TLDs. Thank you for your efforts!

#9 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

For .be domains, only the registration date is provided by the registrar so there is no way for us to get the expiration dates.

As for the domains spinning, when I tried all of your domains here, everything seemed to work. I am wondering if you are behind a firewall or if this has something to do with your ISP. I'll see if we can track something down here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users