3 replies to this topic

#1 justG

justG

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

Please consider using the Sparkle framework for software updates. If not, please fix your current process. I was just prompted to update to the latest version of Domainer. This is great, I like being automatically notified of updates. However, when I clicked to update the application:

- a Finder window opened to /Applications
- Domainer Download.dmg downloaded to /Applications (!)
- the DMG opened and left it up to me to install the application, though my current instance of Domainer was still running

This is a pretty terrible user experience. Once I agree to update the application, the update should either be mostly automated (Sparkle - click to install and relaunch app) or mostly manual (open download page, let me download the dmg, quit the app, overwrite with update, relaunch). What you've got now is something in between.

Thanks for reading!

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We will see what we can do for the next release.

#3 justG

justG

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

- a Finder window opened to /Applications
- Domainer Download.dmg downloaded to /Applications (!)
- the DMG opened and left it up to me to install the application, though my current instance of Domainer was still running

In addition to the above, none of which has changed in v1.5, there are a couple more issues:

- There is no preference to automatically check for update, so I had to do so manually. This is pretty standard practise these days, might you consider adding it in the future?
- The name of the application has been changed from Domainer to RAGE Domainer. Because the update process is not automatic, the end result of updating to v1.5 is an /Applications directory with Domainer.app, RAGE Domainer.app, and Domainer Download.dmg. Please consider making this process better in the future; manual cleanup of the /Applications directory after an update shouldn't be necessary.

Cheers!

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

We have added a check for update on Open button. I will also see if we can do some automatic cleaning up as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users