3 replies to this topic

#1 firepants

firepants

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

First off, let me qualify my post. I understand that my problem could be totally related to my novice understanding of this tool.

Here's my problem: I started designing sites locally with the version 2.x demo. I purchased the tool after 3.x became available. Now when prompted to open a site locally, I navigate to the folder but the .site file is grayed-out. I can't select it. If I try to open the file through Finder, the file contains nothing but ASCII garbage text.

This problem effectively voids all my previous work. If I have to completely rework two commercial websites, I can guarantee you it won't be with this tool because I will request a refund, post haste.

I don't' mind paying for professional-grade tools. I just expect them to behave as such.

How do I fix this problem?

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

First off, let me qualify my post. I understand that my problem could be totally related to my novice understanding of this tool.

Here's my problem: I started designing sites locally with the version 2.x demo. I purchased the tool after 3.x became available. Now when prompted to open a site locally, I navigate to the folder but the .site file is grayed-out. I can't select it. If I try to open the file through Finder, the file contains nothing but ASCII garbage text.

This problem effectively voids all my previous work. If I have to completely rework two commercial websites, I can guarantee you it won't be with this tool because I will request a refund, post haste.

I don't' mind paying for professional-grade tools. I just expect them to behave as such.

How do I fix this problem?

Hi,

You most likely selected 'Import Local Folder' which means you should just select your website folder and not the .site file.

You can never lose your work this way. Your .site file just contains your FTP information, all of your website files are still all there on your hard drive and can always be selected by using the Import Local Folder as mentioned above.

Just go to the File menu and select the 'Import Local Folder' option instead of the 'Open Local Website' option.

#3 firepants

firepants

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

Well, it does appear that the issue was my lack of understanding. However, this raises a red flag to me. That is, the process itself and the documentation both fail to clarify what should have been a glaringly obvious task -- importing an existing project.

It appears that your interface design needs rework to prevent this from occurring with other novice users.

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Well, it does appear that the issue was my lack of understanding. However, this raises a red flag to me. That is, the process itself and the documentation both fail to clarify what should have been a glaringly obvious task -- importing an existing project.

It appears that your interface design needs rework to prevent this from occurring with other novice users.

Hi,

We will look into making this more clear in a future version. Sorry for the problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users