6 replies to this topic

#1 CMCM

CMCM

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hi, I bought the program yesterday and so far I'm quite pleased with it. But it's clear that this is a Mac program and that the windows version hasn't received quite the attention it should have. That's a pity, because there's no similar clean, easy (and working) program for the PC I'm aware of and the small bugs show a level of neglect that's frustrating.

1) clean up the menus! Under EDIT there are several items that don't make sense on a PC: Find, Spelling, Speech, Special Characters - they're all without function. Simply remove them! And the whole WINDOW menu can be deleted as well, there's nothing of use in there. Under FILE there are also items like Page Setup and Print which are constantly greyed out: remove them!
2) "Open Sitemap" button and menu item make no sense. There's no txt-file to load, as the program stores its information mac style without an ending. Either add a specific file ending for the sitemap store files or remove all those menu items, as they're just confusing. It's not possible to open a sitemap profile with the open buttons so why have them?
3) when I switch Websites via the left pane I always get a warning message "A sitemap is currently opened ... Are you sure you want to continue". That really gave me a headache the first time, because there's no way to "close" a sitemap and not get this message. And the message suggests, that this is a serious thing - I was actually wondering if I was losing data if I continued. So please remove the message or offer a "close" option. As I understand it the program autosaves all the time, so there's really no need for confusing pop-ups.
4) add right-click options in EDIT PAGES. Windows users are used to right-clicking for options and don't first mark and then press some small icon on the lower screen. Again I needed some time to figure it out how to edit several items at once. Same goes for the little window that pops up when you edit a page's date. How the heck do you confirm your change and close the windows again? There's no OK or CANCEL, not even a visible CLOSE-Button until I discovered the tiny close box on the upper left. Again this is not how windows programs work. That close button does not follow any windows standards and also on windows if you simply close a window the new entries are ignored, it's like pressing ESC (which also doesn't work). So please: add OK and CANCEL buttons to the date window.
5) I don't get the FTP menu for sitemap upload. Yes, it looks very "macish" again, but why offer all FTP accounts for all website configurations? One sitemap should have one ftp account and no choice to select another one. That's just an invitation to make a mistake and upload a sitemap to the wrong server.

I know the Mac is all about intuitive user interfaces which adhere to some Apple standards, but Windows has it's own standards and it would be nice if you could play by them just as well as you do on the Mac and wouldn't treat the windows version like the ugly step-child. After all, you're charging the same price, so I expect the same dedication.

For people interested in the windows version I just want to add that the program itself does what it should very well - my complains are just interface related, I had no problems with the core functionality.

Thanks for listening
Chris

P.S.
BTW you should do some SEO work on your own site, it's very difficult to find Sitemap Automator via Google.

Edited by CMCM, 21 September 2011 - 02:55 AM.

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy

RAGE Advisor

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:11 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I am passing this message along to the developer and he will do his best to implement them.

Also, depending on what search term you type in, it might be hard to find Sitemap Automator. But that is the case for every search term.

#3 CMCM

CMCM

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the quick response.
I've now encountered a problem with one website: http://www.ensemble-modern.com - Sitemap Automator freezes after discovering 29 pages - the site has 1000+ pages. Strangely enough it had no problem with http://www.internati...-em-akademie.de which in fact runs on the exact same webspace and uses the same technology.
Do you have any idea how to solve this?
Best regards
Chris

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi Chris,

It seems like you have a dynamic site that links to PDF files but the file names don't end in .pdf and the document type returned by the server is text/html.

This means that Sitemap Automator thinks they are HTML files and will try scanning them for links. So it doesn't freeze, it just take a long time to scan for links.

You can easily fix this using filters. If you know what URLs point to PDF files, just set up a filter that does not add the page if it matches that URL (Click the Edit filters button before scanning your site).

You should also insure that your server reports the document types correctly.

#5 CMCM

CMCM

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, excluding the downloads worked fine!
I also took a look at the mime type and a PDF download is delivered as content type application/pdf, so I see no error there.
Please check for yourself: www.ensemble-modern.com/download.php?itemID=68

Edited by CMCM, 23 September 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#6 CMCM

CMCM

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:45 AM

Windows version on the download page is still 2.4, although the update check informs me, that a version 2.5.1 is available.

#7 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Windows version should now be updated to version 2.5.1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users