12 replies to this topic

#1 marks2u

marks2u

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

Version 4.4 is not remembering window sizes or view settings. I zoom, drag, remove toolbars, etc, then close the window. When I open a new window, you'd think at least some things would look the same as when I left it. But the window is 1/4 the size, toolbars are different, etc. You'd think it would remember something. In fact, when I have it open and get it looking ok for me, and open a new window, the new window doesn't even look like the old window did. If this is normal, I hope you people realize that this is very elementary and should be on the highest priority for the next revision. Its a real pain to have to resize and move things around with every window. This app won't be taken seriously if it can't remember settings. Though I wonder if this is an OS X thing or not since I've seen this behavior in many other OS X compatible programs. Does OS X try to always have a default template that tries to override user appearance settings?

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

It should remember all of your settings. Try deleting your preferences file located at username/library/Preferences Folder/Mac Explorer Prefs/

Next time you launch Macintosh Explorer your window size should be remembered. You can edit the default file view as well as other default settings in the Preferences window.

#3 marks2u

marks2u

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

It should remember all of your settings. Try deleting your preferences file located at username/library/Preferences Folder/Mac Explorer Prefs/

Next time you launch Macintosh Explorer your window size should be remembered. You can edit the default file view as well as other default settings in the Preferences window.

I closed Mac Explorer, deleted the Prefs, restarted Mac Explorer. Its the same. A new window is the 1/3 full screen size. Since you are "exploring" all your files, you wonder why the designers would opt to have the default size anything other than Full Screen. Also the toolbars are all there too. Most people that like a Windows Explorer type program value its efficiency. Having a bunch of toolbars wasting space is not efficiency. Resizing windows every time a program opens is not efficiency.

You have a great program in principle. I hope you continue to improve it so its original design can see it potential.

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:34 AM

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear.

Now that you have deleted the Preferences, in the future your window size will be remembered between launches. I suggested deleting the Preferences file because it may have gotten corrupted some how. Now that you have deleted it, the window size should be remembered for all future launches.

I apologize for the confusion.

#5 marks2u

marks2u

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

Great - progress is being made. A new window is no longer 1/3 screen size. Not its full screen as it was when it was closed.

But its cascading a bit. I realize this is some infernal OS X absurdity as I see it with almost all programs. Why they do this is anybody's guess. Why they don't let the user stop it shows how stubborn they are. Tons of people hate it. Anyway, is there any way of getting additional windows to open up full screen and not cascaded because as soon as it cascades the window sizer on the bottom right hand corner is off the screen. Then I have to drag the window up. That has to be done thousands of times a year on my machine. Obviously I don't waste time switching between apps with a rodent.

But I realize this may be out of your control as OS X seems to control a lot of functions that many of us would love to abolish and haven't listened to users for several years on many of these fronts. So be it.

Now about the tool bars. They're still there. I, like many, use Command+` to switch between windows within an app. We don't need spacing wasting toolbars, though they are nice when you first start learning the program. The Tab bar and the main Toolbar (with Back, Parent, Forward, etc on it) keeps on coming up when I open a new window even though they were hidden in the last view before closing the window. Is this correct? If so, this difinitely needs to change. Once the user as abolished something, they probably don't need to see it again, over and over again. Hopefully I do some Preference trick like you mentioned before that will work. So far, no luck.

Also, speaking about space, how about an option for abolishing the little border on the bottom. Yes its kind of pretty, but it would be nice to be able to rid oneself of any and all things that use up our precious screen space. Most people that are attracted to this product are here because they value efficiency, though Apple can be ludicrously inefficient in many design areas, both hardware and software. So I would think these suggestions would ring true for many users.

We want speed, control and efficiency. For those who want the eye candy, I hope you leave it in, but just let us have that option. Then everybody wins.

When this app gets refined, its going to be a superb product. I just hope you don't quit. Its got tremendous potential. I just can't believe how slow the mouse navigator is compared to a keyboard arrow key navigator. But the the mouse navigator won't realize it until they use an app like yours that clearly shows the superiority of keyboard arrow navigation. Once navigation is easier, people organize their files better, then their whole computing experience takes on a whole new light as they know where things are because they put them there, not because Apple in its infinite wisdom deemed them to be put there.

#6 marks2u

marks2u

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:11 PM

I tried to open
user/me/Library/Preferences/Macintosh Explorer Prefs
but Microsoft Entourage opened up. It thinks I want to send an email. What???? I would have thought it would open up the Preferences file but that seems to be the
user/me/Library/Preferences/Macintosh Explorer 4.4.plist
When I delete the plist, all Preferences revert to default. So what is the Macintosh Explorer Prefs file for?

Also, after I deleted the plist, its not coming back now. ??? I've changed things in Preferences and it doesn't pop up in the Library/Preferences file like it used to just above user/me/Library/Preferences/Macintosh Explorer.

And do I need to quit Mac Explorer when I delete the plist file? Or do I just need to close all the open Mac Explorer windows? (I quit the app just to make sure before.)

One nice feature would be to be able to skip from the right column to the left column without using the Shift+Tab shortcut. Command+Left arrow to go back and Command+Right arrow to hop to the right column would be very cool and seemless. The idea being you don't want to leave your navigation area. And the arrow area is your navigation area.

Command+O seems to be the only way the keyboard can open a file. This is cumbersome. Having the option of copying the Finder's Command+Down Arrow to open a file would be nice and flexible. But really you need also the option for opening a file to be handled by the Return key like most apps (excluding Finder of course which uses that to Rename.)

#7 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

The plist file will be re-created when you quit and application. It is created for every single app you have on your computer. The Mac Explorer Prefs file stores all of your settings for Macintosh Explorer.

The command-down arrow will be added to the next free update. Return to launch has to be kept consistent with the Finder.

#8 impulsenyc

impulsenyc

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

The plist file will be re-created when you quit and application. It is created for every single app you have on your computer. The Mac Explorer Prefs file stores all of your settings for Macintosh Explorer.

The command-down arrow will be added to the next free update. Return to launch has to be kept consistent with the Finder.

It seems that Mac Explorer will remember my window size when I quit the application and relaunch it, but when I close the initial window, while leaving the application running, any new window will revert back to the smaller size. Any way around that? It also seems to forget that I only want icons and no text in the toolbar.

Would also love support for horizontal scrolling on newer mice. Awesome product. :o)

Edited by impulsenyc, 02 February 2007 - 12:56 AM.

#9 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

The next version will remember the Toolbar settings. It is due out real soon as will be a free upgrade.

I will see what I can do about horizontal scrolling. I believe this is working in the latest beta version.

Thanks for the info about the closing the window and not remembering the window size. I will look into that as well.

#10 bobjames5

bobjames5

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:08 AM

I've downloaded and paid for Macintosh Explorer 4.5. I've also been reading the posts because I have two initially obvious problems:
1. The tabs all disappear upon closing down (not quitting) and restarting Explorer
2. As in this string, when I close (not quit) Explorer full size, upon re-opening it's back to a small window.

I'm a recent convert from PC to Mac and really would like for this program to work

#11 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

We are working on both of those issues for the next free update. We currently have a beta version at;

http://www.ragedownl...xplorer46b3.zip

#12 bobjames5

bobjames5

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:39 AM

We are working on both of those issues for the next free update. We currently have a beta version at;

http://www.ragedownl...xplorer46b3.zip

I installed version 4.6, but apparently the problems I addressed were not included in the fix. Also items don't remain in the shelf.

Still hoping :-)

#13 plecto

plecto

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

It seems that Mac Explorer will remember my window size when I quit the application and relaunch it, but when I close the initial window, while leaving the application running, any new window will revert back to the smaller size. Any way around that? It also seems to forget that I only want icons and no text in the toolbar.

Would also love support for horizontal scrolling on newer mice. Awesome product. :o)

You are right impulsenyc. I'm currently trying version 4.5 of the software and the behavior seems to have remained the same. Mac Explorer remember position and dimension of the window only if I close the application by quitting it (cmd+Q). Instead, if I close the main window of the application and reopen it (while leaving the application running) all the settings are lost.

What is not remembered, even if I quit and restart the application is the list of tabs that I had opened. This would be a great improvement.

I think this software is worth to be improved and extended as no other file manager for MAC OS (at least that I know about) offers a combined view "file system tree + folder's content".

If anybody knows a file manager with this feature, please let me know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users