7 replies to this topic

#1 jarome

jarome

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

I am new to MacExplorer. It seems just like what I want, coming from Windows.

But I have a few issues so far:

1) When I mount my Linux samba share, its folders in the left-hand pane are not alphabetized. The Mac folders are. How do I fix this since this contains all my music -- a folder for each composer, and I have a lot of them. See left pane of attachment.

2) Creating a new folder is not nice at all. IMHO, right-clicking a folder should have a "New Folder" item. And if you make a new folder, the view should jump to that folder, with the name ready to be edited. Or better yet, a pop-up asking for the name should appear. As it is, I have to scroll down to the U's.

3) I would also like to see the right-hand pane put the folders first, and then to sort the folders and any files alphabetically. I do not see a way to do this. I have the "sort directories first" checked. That seems to do nothing. See attachment.

4) When a new folder or file is created, the view should refresh automatically. I am forever hitting the refresh button. Finder refreshes automatically. Why not MacExplorer?

5) Copying files seems to be hard. Often I cannot be sure of the target folder. In Windows I can click in the folder (to the right) and it does not select any item, so I can be sure that the folder is my target. I do not seem to be able to copy a file in MacFinder and paste it in Finder.

Well, attachments do not work. I got your error message: "
The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error."

More problems:
1) I edited the name of an mp3 track by putting a "1. " at its start. The displayed name changed to Chinese characters! (But the real name was still there).
2) After I copied the folder from one tab to another, the MacExplorer window went non-responsive. It closed, but answered no other commands. The destination was a linux samba share.

Edited by jarome, 28 May 2007 - 08:46 PM.

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

1) I will look into this for you. They should appear in alphabetical order.
2) You can also use shift-command-N. I will see about adding a menu item in the control click menu to do this
3) This is working for me. Are you by any chance in the Applications folder? Applications on Mac OS X are actually folders so this is what you may be seeing. In any case, this too can be adjusted
4) It refreshes properly for me. Are you creating new folders/files in Mac Explorer or from within the Finder?
5) You can not copy from Mac Explorer and paste it into the Finder since they are too separate applications. You can click a space on the right to select that list. You will now that list is selected since the left hand list's selection, if there is one, will turn from blue to gray. You can also control-click a blank spot in the right list (ie where no files are listed) or control-click a folder in the right list and select 'Paste Into Folder'

Sorry about your other issues. I will look into them further here. The renaming problem will be fixed in the next free update. Thank you for the feedback and hopefully this problems can be solved as soon as possible.

#3 jarome

jarome

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:04 AM

See ### below
1) I will look into this for you. They should appear in alphabetical order.
### It was only for folders mounted from Linux samba shares
2) You can also use shift-command-N. I will see about adding a menu item in the control click menu to do this
### If there is a blank space in the right pane, right-clicking works. But it there are a lot of files, there is no blank space and it does not work, because you get the file menu instead. I just tried shift-command-N. MacExplorer crashed! I am unable to upload the crash report to this forum!! I e-mailed them to support@ragesw.com
3) This is working for me. Are you by any chance in the Applications folder? Applications on Mac OS X are actually folders so this is what you may be seeing. In any case, this too can be adjusted
### Yes, it was the app folder. So how do I adjust this?
4) It refreshes properly for me. Are you creating new folders/files in Mac Explorer or from within the Finder?
### Actually, new files were being created by Audacity. If I use Finder, the file list updates automatically, but not so in MacExplorer
5) You can not copy from Mac Explorer and paste it into the Finder since they are too separate applications. You can click a space on the right to select that list. You will now that list is selected since the left hand list's selection, if there is one, will turn from blue to gray. You can also control-click a blank spot in the right list (ie where no files are listed) or control-click a folder in the right list and select 'Paste Into Folder'
### Don't you use the system store for cut and paste? I do not understand your instructions here.
click to the right of what?

Sorry about your other issues. I will look into them further here. The renaming problem will be fixed in the next free update. Thank you for the feedback and hopefully this problems can be solved as soon as possible.

###
It would also be nice if you could get MacExplorer to replace the default finder window that is used to open and save files. That is where most of my "navigating" occurs.
###
Is there a way of having the full path of files displayed on a status bar? I have two music directories (backups for my 30,000 mp3 tracks) and it is hard to know which one I am in since they have the same names but are on different disks. Also, the labels in the shelf are identical ("music"). It would be really nice if they could be color-coded by their disk. In general that would help me.

#4 jarome

jarome

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

More issues:

1) I copied files from MacExplorer (HD2) to MacExplorer (Linux samba mount). The directory did NOT update its listing.

2) Why isn't there any response to a Delete key, or any keyboard shortcut for deleting files?

2) I turned on hidden files. Audacity makes a ".mp3" hidden file that it later seems to copy to the real file name. I delete all the files in the directory including the .mp3 file. The .mp3 file is still listed, even after a refresh. I click on it and try to delete it and MacExplorer crashes.

3) I have two directories named music on different drives. I cannot put both on the shelf. They appear there, but then disappear when I start a new MacExplorer session. The whole idea is to be able to rapidly synch my music and its backup!

#5 jarome

jarome

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Copying just does not work properly. The problem arises if the right-hand pane is full. There is no way to select it as the target except by selecting the folder in the left pane. But I cannot do this because they are not sorted for me.

So, if I select music in the left pane (on the linux drive) and select the Shostakovich folder in the right-hand drive and do ctrl-v, MacExplorer copies it to Music instead of to Shostakovich. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

You must allow selection of the right pane without selecting anything in it. And if I do select a folder in it, that should be the target of a paste command.

#6 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:46 PM

You must allow selection of the right pane without selecting anything in it. And if I do select a folder in it, that should be the target of a paste command.

This is not the way the finder works while in list view (though it does work this way in column view since you would actually be in the selected folder. But you can always right click (control-click) a folder and choose Paste Into. We try to be consistent with the Finder where possible.

Your other issues were replied to by email. Hope we can get all these problems fixed ASAP.

#7 telemachus

telemachus

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:56 AM

[/quote]
But you can always right click (control-click) a folder and choose Paste Into. We try to be consistent with the Finder where possible.
[/quote]

Hi guys,
I have come here from a few months of Pathfinder, which has loads of features I don't want, and misses several I do.
I'm a newbie to mac explorer, just an hour so far, but see many good things, many limitations - many of which mr jarome has spotted - Keep People Like Him Around!!!

I just wanted to say thanks, but also to say PLEASE don't be consistent with Finder for the sake of it! Finder is incredibly lame IMO, some sexy bells and whistles, but awful having come from Windows Explorer on XP. Mac seems to want to do things differently for the sake of it, and sometimes they sacrifice useability and content for style.

I agree fully with jarome here where selecting any folder anywhere and pressing ctrl-v should paste into that folder. Anything less is daft.

Cheers,
Mark.

Edited by telemachus, 13 June 2008 - 06:00 AM.

#8 jarome

jarome

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:19 AM

This is not the way the finder works while in list view (though it does work this way in column view since you would actually be in the selected folder. But you can always right click (control-click) a folder and choose Paste Into. We try to be consistent with the Finder where possible.

Your other issues were replied to by email. Hope we can get all these problems fixed ASAP.

In windows, when you click the information part of the right pane (e.g., the file size) it selects the pane folder and NOT the line you are clicking on. It only selects a file if you click its icon or name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users