8 replies to this topic

#1 markwmsn

markwmsn

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:12 PM

I've just downloaded the software and the quickstart document. I poked around the quickstart and the help documents and spent one of my 21 trial launches playing with the program.

My site administrator plans to shut down his FTP service in favor of SFTP (Secure FTP). I can't see any way to ask WebDesign 2.6 to down- or upload with SFTP. Did I miss it, or does it just not exist?

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:22 AM

Currenly it not exist but it is planned for a future release.

#3 markwmsn

markwmsn

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

I guess I should check back later. Any suggestions on how much later? (E.g., maybe when 2.7 is announced, maybe for 3.0, etc.)

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:29 PM

Although I don't want to make any promises, I would say sooner rather than later. Its an important feature. But remember, WebDesign is not meant to have a fully featured FTP Client. There are applications that provide that functionality for the same and even more money.

What I would recommend to you is you download you use the mirroring features of another FTP Client and then edit the files using WebDesign's Site Manager (i.e. just import the mirrored folder). You can also just download your entire web site folder and then upload it when you are done with it through a third party FTP Client. This gives the added bonus of having a local backup copy just in case. This is what I like to (though I can upload the folder through WebDesign, you would just have to upload through a third part client when you are done).

#5 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:21 PM

Although I don't want to make any promises, I would say sooner rather than later. Its an important feature. But remember, WebDesign is not meant to have a fully featured FTP Client. There are applications that provide that functionality for the same and even more money.

What I would recommend to you is you download you use the mirroring features of another FTP Client and then edit the files using WebDesign's Site Manager (i.e. just import the mirrored folder). You can also just download your entire web site folder and then upload it when you are done with it through a third party FTP Client. This gives the added bonus of having a local backup copy just in case. This is what I like to (though I can upload the folder through WebDesign, you would just have to upload through a third part client when you are done).

#6 markwmsn

markwmsn

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:48 PM

Although I don't want to make any promises, I would say sooner rather than later. Its an important feature.

Thanks for the information.

WebDesign is not meant to have a fully featured FTP Client. There are applications that provide that functionality for the same and even more money.

True. There are also a couple of nice free ones. I was just looking for FTP/SFTP parity when WebDesign was the right tool to do the data moving.

What I would recommend to you is you download you use the mirroring features of another FTP Client and then edit the files using WebDesign's Site Manager (i.e. just import the mirrored folder). You can also just download your entire web site folder and then upload it when you are done with it through a third party FTP Client. This gives the added bonus of having a local backup copy just in case.

A quite reasonable strategy when maintaining a whole site from one Mac. I was thinking more about when needing to make a small change to a page or two without elaborate staging.

--Mark

#7 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

Editing a single page would require FTPS support. This is something we would really like to add. Keep checking back or subscribe to our newsletter at http://www.ragesw.com/newsletter/ to be notified of future updates. I can't at, at this time, estimate when it will be added though. Hopefully as soon as possible.

#8 markwmsn

markwmsn

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:44 PM

Editing a single page would require FTPS support.

I'm looking for SFTP, not FTP/S. I seem to be able to find SFTP get/edit/put in the more transfer-oriented tools that edit on the side. I was hoping to find the same in a more capable editor.

This is something we would really like to add. Keep checking back or subscribe to our newsletter at http://www.ragesw.com/newsletter/ to be notified of future updates.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done that.

--Mark

#9 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:32 PM

SFTP will also be included.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users