Our first EverWeb update of 2022 comes with the recent release of EverWeb 3.6. Two major features headline this version, new security features for EverWeb Site Shield Addon and a new Fill Slide Show feature for the Shape Options tab. There are lots of other minor feature additions and under the hood performance improvements to enjoy in this release.
In this post, we are going to look at EverWeb 3.6’s new Slideshow feature that has been added to the Fill options in the Shape Options tab.
The new feature allows you to add a slideshow to a rectangular shape, to an image or to a Responsive Row widget.
What Is Fill Slide Show?
The new Fill Slide Show feature lets you add a slide show to a TextBox, image, rectangle (or default) shape or to the Responsive Row widget. The feature is a simple, easy and quick way to add slide show features to EverWeb objects when it is not possible to use the Image Slideshow widget. The Fill Slide Show feature can also be used as a way to provide some animation features in addition to the Shape Options tab’s existing Animation features.
How Fill: Slide Show Works
There are a number of different scenarios within which you can use the Fill Slide Show feature:
Fill: Slide Show and TextBoxes
This option is great for when you want to text to be displayed on top of a background slide show. You can also add a slide show to the TextBox even if it does not contain any text. To use Fill: Slide Show with a TextBox:
- Start by adding a TextBox to the page if you have not done so already.
- Replace the default text with your own and style the TextBox as desired.
- If you already have a TextBox on the page that you want to add a background slide show to, select it.
- Next, go to the Shape Options tab and select ‘Slide Show’ from the Fill dropdown menu.
- Use the ‘Choose…’ button to select the images that you want to use for the background slide show of the text.
- Select the Transition and Navigation Options as desired.
Fill: Slide Show Customization Options
After adding images to the slide show, you may notice that the slide show object is displayed in the Editor Window with Previous and Next navigation arrows. Click on these arrows to to see the previous or next slide.
The Previous and Next navigation arrows are only available in the Editor Window when the ‘Show Arrows’ option is set to ‘Always’ or ‘Mouse Over’. If you want to display the slide show without arrows, it is recommended that you keep the arrows visible in the Edit Window until you have completed your slide show. Once complete, set the ‘Show Arrows’ option to ‘Never’ to hide the arrows.
Fill: Slide Show with a Rectangle, or Default, Shape
Use this option when you want a simple slideshow without a text overlay. The slide show background can only be used with a rectangle or default shape. If you select the ‘Slide Show’ option with another shape type (including the rounded rectangle shape), the shape will revert to the rectangle shape.
Once you have selected the rectangle shape, you can add the images you want to the shape in the same way as you would for the slide show for a TextBox.
Fill: Slide Show with an Image
This option works in the same way as it does if you add a slide show to a shape. Select the image that you want to become a slide show then add the images that you want as the background slide show in the same way as described above. Note that when you select the ‘Slide Show’ option you will need to add the original image back in to the slide show list.
Fill: Slide Show with a Responsive Row Widget
If you have a Responsive Row widget on your page, you can add a background slide show to the Responsive Row itself. As a Responsive Row can include TextBoxes, Images and Rectangle shapes, you have the ability to add a slide show on top of a background slideshow making this a very powerful feature.
To add a background slide show to a Responsive Row widget:
- First add a Responsive Row widget to the page, or select one that is already on your page.
- Add the objects that you want to include in to the Responsive Row if you have not done so already.
- To add a background slideshow to the Responsive Row, make sure that the Responsive Row is selected.
- Next, go to the Shape Options tab and select the ‘Slide Show’ option from the Fill dropdown menu.
- Add the images you want to use for the background slides and adjust the Transition and Navigation Options as desired.
Adding Objects to the Responsive Row Slide Show
You can add objects to any slide in the Responsive Row.
- Use the navigation arrows in the slide show to select the slide that you want to add an object to.
- Once the background slide that you want is visible, click on the Responsive Row to select it.
- Add the objects that you want to the currently visible Responsive Row slide e.g. TextBoxes, images, shapes, other widgets and so on.
- If you have added an object to the wrong Responsive Row background slide, you can easily move the object to another background slide. First select the object you want to move then secondary click.
- Select the submenu option ‘Embed In’ then choose the slide in the Responsive Row that you want to move the object in to.
EverWeb’s new Fill: Slide Show feature is both simple and powerful to use, giving you new design options for your website!