Widget Organization in EverWebJune 6th, 2019
If you are an EverWeb user who has invested in third party widgets, you can get to the point where the number of widgets in the Widgets tab starts to become a frustrating experience of scrolling to find exactly the right widget that you want.
Whilst EverWeb 2.8’s headline feature was the introduction of Responsive Web Design to the product, widget organization also debuted at the same time. The days of scrolling are over as you can organize your third party widgets easily. Widget organization is designed to be used only when you have, or want to install and manage, third party widgets.
Widget Category Settings
When you click on the Widget tab, you will see the Widget Category Settings directly below the tab. The Widget Category List is on the left hand side and by default is set to display ‘All’ of the widgets you have installed. To the right is the Remove Category button, the Widget Category Settings Cog and the Add Category button. These features allow you to organize and manage your widgets.
The Widget Category List contains two predefined categories that cannot be deleted and any categories you have created yourself. The predefined ‘All’ category displays all of the widgets installed on your computer. You cannot remove EverWeb’s built in default widgets but you can add, delete and categorize any of your third party widgets. The other predefined category, ‘Default’, lists EverWeb’s own preinstalled widgets. This category cannot be changed in any way. If you do not have any third party widgets installed, their categories will have the same widgets as each other.
Adding Third Party Widget To the Widgets Tab
Adding third party widgets in to the Widgets tab is easy, just drag and drop your downloaded third party widgets on to the widgets list. You can also add widgets to an existing user created category. First select the category you want from the Widget Category List, then drag and drop the widget into the category’s widget list.
When you add any third party widgets to the Widgets tab, they will also be added automatically added to the ‘All’ category.
Creating a New Widget Category
To create a new widget category:
- Click on the ‘+’ button in the Widget Category Settings to add a new category.
- A dropdown will appear asking you to enter in the name of the widget category you want to create.
- Enter the name you want then click the ‘OK’ button to finish.
Adding Widgets to Your Widget Category
The newly created category will become the currently selected category. If you have newly downloaded widgets you want to add to the category, add them in the same way as described above.
If you have already added third party widgets to the Widgets tab, you can add them in to your new category as well.
- First, select the ‘All’ from the category list dropdown.
- Locate the widget that you want to add to your new category and secondary click on it.
- A submenu appears. Select the widget category that you want the widget added to..
- The widget will be added to your selected category, but will also still appear in the ‘All’ category.
Adding a Folder of Widgets
Many third party widgets come in packs, so ideally you want to be able to install all of the widgets in the pack at one time. everWeb makes this easy to do. Just drag and drop the widget pack folder on to the widget list. EverWeb will create a new category with the same name as the folder, which will contain all of the widgets within the folder. The category is named after the folder.
Renaming a Widget Category
To rename a user created widget category:
- Select the category you want to rename from the Widget Category List
- Next, click on the Category Settings button.
- A drop down will appear where you can edit name of the Widget category.
- Click the ‘OK’ button to finished.
As you have already seen when adding a widget to a user created widget category, secondary clicking on a widget opens a submenu. This submenu is also where you can ‘Delete’ the currently selected widget. If you delete a widget, you will be asked to confirm your action. When deleted, the widget is placed in your computer’s Trashcan. If you have deleted a widget by mistake, open the Trashcan and drag and drop the widget back on to the widgets list.
It’s always best to back up any third party widgets you may have in case you need to restore them at a later date.
Deleting a Widget Category
If you want to delete one of your user created widget categories:
- First select the category you want to delete from the Category List dropdown menu.
- Click on the Remove Category button.
- A dropdown will appear asking you to confirm your actions. You can either:
- Select ‘Delete Widgets’ to delete the category and the widgets it contains or
- Select ‘Keep Widgets’ which will delete the category and move the widgets it contains back in to the ‘All’ category.
Using the Widgets Tab Organizer is a quick and easy way to keep all of your third party widgets properly organized so that they are always quick and easy to hand.
There is also a YouTube video about the Widgets Tab Organizer available on our YouTube channel. Subscribe today for regular videos about everything EverWeb!
EverWeb on Social Media
You can also find EverWeb on the following social media platforms:
Twitter handle @ragesw