#1 Colin Deady

Colin Deady

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:24 AM

Hi folks
Just bought RAGE Domainer and with the three domains I was using pre-purchase to test it all was fine. However, now after purchase I constantly get constant freezes forcing me to either kill the app and relaunch or wait 2 minutes before it becomes responsive again (when frozen I can't even scroll up and down the list of domains, select any menu options or anything). I think I have identified the cause:

- if a domain has an associated website then when the entry for the domain is updated it will NOT freeze the program;
- if a domain does NOT have an associated website then when the entry for the domain is updated it WILL freeze the program.

When the program freezes I see the grey spinning icon representing updating over the image of the website on the domain (which of course will be blank as there is no website) for about 10 seconds, then this is replaced with infamous spinning beachball. At this point the software completely stops responding and I need to kill the process.

Reloading the program occurs without any corruption of data - BUT this isn't a workaround given that as I have so many domains without websites that I want to monitor I have not managed to use Domainer for more than 2 minutes before it freezes on me :(

I am fairly certain that the above is the cause because all 8 domains I have entered that have websites do not freeze the program on update, and 6 out of the 8 domains I have entered that do NOT have websites DO freeze the program on update. For the remaining 2, I have seen them freeze Domainer on one occasion, and not freeze on another.

Has anyone else experienced this, or can anyone suggest a solution?

Ideally I would like to be able to stop certain domains from trying to grab a screenshot of a website as clearly in my case I don't need this feature for about 50% of my domains.

Examples of domains that cause freezes:
climatefit.net
climatefit.com
ispartacus.co.uk

Most disappointing for a new purchase .. :(

Regards
-Colin

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hi Colin,

I am looking into this now, and promise to get this fixed ASAP for you. Sorry about the problems.

#3 Colin Deady

Colin Deady

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:27 AM

I am looking into this now, and promise to get this fixed ASAP for you. Sorry about the problems.

Wow! What excellent customer service, many thanks :)

Let me know if you need a backup of my Domainer database.
-Colin

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

OK We have fixed the problem where the spinning progress wheel never stopping for a domain.

As for the spinning beach ball, I get that for about a second here while Domainer tries to access a page that does not exist. Still working on improving this however.

I will post a beta update shortly.

#5 Colin Deady

Colin Deady

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:07 PM

Paul,

You are The Man! Many thanks for such a quick response :)
-Colin

#6 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

We made a few more changes and you shouldn't see the spinning wheel anymore, or if you do, definitely not for more than a few seconds.

We have uploaded a beta version at the following URL;

http://www.trybeta.com/home/

Just create a free login and you will be able to download the latest beta version. Please let me know if you run into any further issues with this release.

#7 Teletubby

Teletubby

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

Just downloaded the beta and tried it. Still waiting for previews (I have 78 domains) and they are not happening within seconds.

Please consider adding snap.com or thumbshots.com previews if possible since they seem to be much faster.

Thank You,

Brad

#8 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi Brad,

I didn't mean that you will see the previews in seconds for all 78 domains. I meant that in the case of the original poster, he shouldn't see the spinning beachball for sites that do not yet exist for more than a few seconds if at all.

78 Domains will take a few minutes to get all the details. RAGE Domainer gets a lot of information from a lot of different sources so you must give it time. It definitely will not be less than a few seconds for that many domains.

#9 Colin Deady

Colin Deady

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hi
Thanks for the beta, v1.6.1 Build 1. Apart from my first test (see below) all went fine. In summary:

The first time I tried it I unfortunately noticed almost no difference - except that Domainer now recovered when I left it for a few minutes. Using Activity Monitor I saw that when the app froze the CPU usage of Domainer is 0%, ie: request an update on all domains and the CPU varies from around 44% to 95%, then after about 20 seconds down to 0% and the app froze - the GUI becomes completely unresponsive (and Activity Monitor reports Domainer in red as "not responding"). About 2 minutes later the GUI starts working again and the domains start to slowly get updated as responses to the requests out to the internet start to come in.

Second test - much more successful :) Closed app, reloaded it and repeated the above and it worked perfectly (ran a bit slow, but hey I did ask it to update all my domains so that's my problem;)

Third test - closed and reloaded app, and selectively updated one domain after another without waiting for it to finish in between and experienced no problems

Fourth test - left app open and updated all domains and all worked fine

Fifth test - closed and reloaded app, then selectively updated one domain after another and in each case waited for the previous domain to be fully updated before I started the next update.

By the fifth test I noticed it seems to be taking longer and longer each time to complete an update - but then I am wondering if with this many queries I am hitting some server-based flood control and other similar measures.

NB: 50% of domains used in test have a website, the other 50% do not. Apart from my first unsuccessful test of the new version I have not seen any issues with either

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated :)

BTW did I mention as well as a web developer I'm also a professional software test engineer with many years of experience? Feel free to give me a shout if you ever want me to cast an eye over a new version; always happy to help :)

-Colin

#10 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for testing it out further. Here is what I suspect is happening.

When you try to access a domain that does not exist at all the OS tries to obtain an IP address. If it can't find the IP address it may freeze for a moment while it looks for one (Have you ever tried connecting to a network drive that no longer exists? You will see a similar issue)

After not being able to resolve the domain name, it caches the result so that next time you don't have to wait as long. So that may explain the initial unresponsiveness.

If information is taking long, it may be that you have hit server limits if you do request the information may time but too quickly.

I will look into it more to see if we can speed it up.

#11 Colin Deady

Colin Deady

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

When you try to access a domain that does not exist at all

Don't forget that when I first encountered this issue the freeze occurred for domains that do exist (one can whois them quite happily) but do not have a website.

Regards
-Colin

#12 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

By didn't have a website do you mean that you just haven't uploaded your site or that the domains did not yet have a web hosting provider or nameservers etc..?

If the latter, the problem I discussed above may still exist.

#13 Colin Deady

Colin Deady

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:59 AM

The domains in question are registered and respond to whois but there is no zone file including settings like nameserver, A record for www host, ftp host etc. Guess it could well be the issue you described :)

But as mentioned, apart from the 1 re-occurrence of the issues I mentioned the new Beta did seem much more responsive overall which is great news IMHO given that this is such a useful application!

Suggested enhancement for a future version: Could a "do not query website" check box be added for each domain, ie: one could select to query everything (unchecked - default) or only check domain, not hosting details.

Many thanks
-Colin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users