19 replies to this topic

#1 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I have followed this topic closely both here & on Apple iWeb discussions. I am the "webmaster" for my website & my boyfriend's website. Both websites are made on different Macs using iWeb and hosted on different Mobile Me accounts. I used Rage's iWeb SEO Tool and RAGE SiteMap Automator without problems. Google sees verified it, crawled 6 of 19 URL's and I am currently ranked 6th in my SE topic.

Not so for my boyfriend's website. Tags, etc. applied using RAGE iWeb SEO Tool. Google successfully verified it via applied HTML code. SiteMap successfully created using RAGE SiteMap Automator. Published to iDisk. Test of sitemap.xml returns error 404, repeatedly. I deleted RAGE Sitemap Automator files and did a clean reinstall with the same result. It says that SiteMap Automator is putting the sitemap.xml in the wrong location!?!

Info: Domain Name: www.petersegerer.com successfully forwarded to:
web.me.com/petersegerer.com/africanart

It is placing the sitemap.xml
iDisk->Web->Sites ->africanart

Help! Where should it be located?

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Hi,

I do not see a sitemap located at;

web.me.com/petersegerer/africanart/sitemap.xml

But that is the correct place for the XML Sitemap. Are you sure it has been published there? Did you re-publish your site with iWeb? If so, your sitemap would have been removed. You need to re-upload it.

The sitemap and the verification file are published to the same directory.

#3 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hi,

I do not see a sitemap located at;

But that is the correct place for the XML Sitemap. Are you sure it has been published there? Did you re-publish your site with iWeb? If so, your sitemap would have been removed. You need to re-upload it.

The sitemap and the verification file are published to the same directory.

Hi Paul!
I had deleted it, since Google Webmaster Tools was giving me the red X for seeing it.
I have now uploaded the sitemap.xml again.
Google is still not seeing it. I have NOT republished with iWeb as I know iWeb overwrites your codes. I again got the RAGE SiteMap Automator error 404 - sitemap NOT correctly installed - when clicking the "TEST" button. I still have the red X from Google.
Suggestions?
I am VERY frustrated at this point.
Emilie

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

The problem is most likely how you are entering your website into Sitemap Automator and Google Webmaster Tools.

I suspect you have added it as;

www.petersegerer.com

In which case it will not work.

You have to options. You should do the first option is possible.

1) Email your web host and tell them to turn on CNAME forwarding without masking your domain. Once this is done, your website address won't turn into the web.me.com one. Instead it will be;

http://www.petersege...com/africanart/

And that is how you should scan AND add your site to Google Webmaster Tools

2) Scan your website as;

http://web.me.com/pe...rer/africanart/

And add it to Google Webmaster Tools;

#5 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

The problem is most likely how you are entering your website into Sitemap Automator and Google Webmaster Tools.

I suspect you have added it as;

www.petersegerer.com

In which case it will not work.

You have to options. You should do the first option is possible.

1) Email your web host and tell them to turn on CNAME forwarding without masking your domain. Once this is done, your website address won't turn into the web.me.com one. Instead it will be;

http://www.petersege...com/africanart/

And that is how you should scan AND add your site to Google Webmaster Tools

2) Scan your website as;

And add it to Google Webmaster Tools;

Nope. NOT added as www.petersegerer.com
Added as http://web.me.com/pe...erer/africanart
That is why this is EXTREMELY frustrating
Everything is done EXACTLY as it was with my own website (http://web.me.com/emiliestewart/emilie) which works perfectly.
The domain is forwarded WITHOUT masking - never set differently from day-1.
Peter's site was added to Google Webmaster Tools exactly as you show. Google STILL does NOT see it and when tested using RAGE SiteAutomator, it STILL says the sitemap.xml is in the wrong location.
VERY VERY frustrating.

#6 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hm, it works ok for me.

If you can give me access to your Google Webmaster Tools account by sending your details privately to me via our support form at http://www.ragesw.com/support/ I can see if you have done anything wrong.

Additionally, if you could send me a screen shot of your website added in Sitemap Automator, I can see if there is a problem there as well.

#7 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:37 AM

Now, Google has given the sitemap.xml a green check ! I haven't changed a thing since last night.

I am wondering if the SiteMap Automator tests failed because the MobileMe server (at Apple in CA) was so busy? A gazillion people were backing up to their MobileMe accounts because the OSX Snow Leopard upgrade DVDs arrived yesterday (and today) in USA to those who paid their $9.95. My DSL speed was fine to any isp EXCEPT MobileMe. It was taking "forever" to do anything regarding Apple's server. Could this have been the cause of all these issues? Timed out?

#8 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

Now, Google has given the sitemap.xml a green check ! I haven't changed a thing since last night.

I am wondering if the SiteMap Automator tests failed because the MobileMe server (at Apple in CA) was so busy? A gazillion people were backing up to their MobileMe accounts because the OSX Snow Leopard upgrade DVDs arrived yesterday (and today) in USA to those who paid their $9.95. My DSL speed was fine to any isp EXCEPT MobileMe. It was taking "forever" to do anything regarding Apple's server. Could this have been the cause of all these issues? Timed out?

I am not sure, the only way to know would be to test it again, but it worked fine when I tested it here so there may be something wrong with the way you added your site to Sitemap Automator.

#9 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

I am not sure, the only way to know would be to test it again, but it worked fine when I tested it here so there may be something wrong with the way you added your site to Sitemap Automator.

Updated the bf's website. Reapplied tags with iWebSEO tool. Rescanned with Sitemap Automator & reloaded the sitemap. Still getting the error code when I test it. Google sees it. Once I get a chance, I am going to delete the application completely and reinstall on his MacBookPro (OSX 10.5.8). Completely strange.

#10 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

Don't delete the application.

Please show me EXACTLY how you have added your site to SITEMAP AUTOMATOR. A screen shot would be best. I will test it here, because my tests show it is working OK.

If you added your site differently I can see what you are doing and try to duplicate the issue here.

#11 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

Don't delete the application.

Please show me EXACTLY how you have added your site to SITEMAP AUTOMATOR. A screen shot would be best. I will test it here, because my tests show it is working OK.

If you added your site differently I can see what you are doing and try to duplicate the issue here.

I have posted a screen shot to my MobileMe:
http://homepage.mac....art/RAGESW.tiff

I have spent so much time on this, it is unbelievable. My own site works perfectly. Google has indexed 10 URLS, found 1 link and the site ranks 3 in searches.

Peter's sitemap remains with a red X on the Google WebMasterTools page. In his MobileMe account, the location of the sitemap.xml is EXACT to that of mine in my MobileMe account. Our sites mirror each other 100%.

It seems (on Apple iWeb Discussions) that lots of iWeb users are experiencing publishing problems since about 1 September. Apple support has continuously denied they are doing anything to their servers in California. In the iWeb discussions, users have said how lengthy the wait it for iWeb to publish site changes. We are also experiencing this (after having purged iWeb caches & preferences). Users are getting error 404 codes in publishing site changed when the MobileMe server fails to respond to iWeb, yet the changes are published when the site is viewed on the web. Now, I am beginning to think this is the case with Sitemap Automator and why Google cannot locate the sitemap.xml within his website. I can physically see it in the correct folder. I am thinking the Google crawler times out waiting for MobileMe to respond.
Help!
Emilie

Edited by wnbamiamisol, 08 September 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#12 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi Emilie,

Its is not likely that any of those are the issues. Your sitemap is properly published at;

If you can send me a PM here, or use our support form at http://www.ragesw.com/support/ to send me your Google Webmaster Tools account login details I can check to see why Google is returning an error for you.

#13 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

Hi Emilie,

Its is not likely that any of those are the issues. Your sitemap is properly published at;

If you can send me a PM here, or use our support form at http://www.ragesw.com/support/ to send me your Google Webmaster Tools account login details I can check to see why Google is returning an error for you.

PM sent

#14 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

The problem was just that when you first submitted your sitemap to Google it didn't exist so you just had to press the resubmit button in your Google Webmaster Tools account.

I did this for you and it works now.

#15 wnbamiamisol

wnbamiamisol

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:53 AM

The problem was just that when you first submitted your sitemap to Google it didn't exist so you just had to press the resubmit button in your Google Webmaster Tools account.

I did this for you and it works now.

1000 kisses!!!!
Now Peter won't be all grumpy that MY site is indexed, ranked in the top 5, and getting hits while his isn't!

Emilie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users