12 replies to this topic

#1 Skarka.com

Skarka.com

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

I have been publishing my iWeb site to a local folder and using SEO Tool from there. Like others, I am losing blog comments in the process. I have been told to publish the site to MobileMe and open the site in SEO Tool though iDisk. When I do that, I don't see individual pages. I see the globe icon with my sites name and the grey triangle, but opening that does not reveal the pages. I also notice that opening the site via iDisk, SEO Tool remounts my iDisk, so I have a duplicate on the desktop.

If it helps, the site is www.skarka.com

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:16 AM

I have been publishing my iWeb site to a local folder and using SEO Tool from there. Like others, I am losing blog comments in the process. I have been told to publish the site to MobileMe and open the site in SEO Tool though iDisk. When I do that, I don't see individual pages. I see the globe icon with my sites name and the grey triangle, but opening that does not reveal the pages. I also notice that opening the site via iDisk, SEO Tool remounts my iDisk, so I have a duplicate on the desktop.

If it helps, the site is www.skarka.com

Try unmounting both iDisks and mounting your iDisk again through iWeb SEO Tool.

#3 Dave Murdock

Dave Murdock

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

I am seeing the same problem as Skarka.com, I see the list of sites in iWeb SEO but can't see any pages.

RageSW, if my iDisk is automatically syncing, how do I eject that copy of the iDisk so that I don't see a duplicate iDisk when iWeb SEO runs? Disabling iDisk synching can't be the answer.

Seems this problem started for me after I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:22 AM

I am seeing the same problem as Skarka.com, I see the list of sites in iWeb SEO but can't see any pages.

RageSW, if my iDisk is automatically syncing, how do I eject that copy of the iDisk so that I don't see a duplicate iDisk when iWeb SEO runs? Disabling iDisk synching can't be the answer.

Seems this problem started for me after I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

You should just be able to drag the iDisk icon to the trash to unmount it. I'm sorry but I really don't know what would be causing this issue. Everything works fine on clean installs of Snow Leopard here.

#5 Steve

Steve

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

FYI: I have experienced the same problem.

#6 Mac Berry

Mac Berry

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

This simply doesn't work if you have iDisk syncing turned on.

The issue is that you can't unmount a synced iDisk, yet you also can't load the site from the local copy of the disk because the "Web" folder isn't held locally - it's just a shortcut. The tool therefore tries to mount a second copy of the disk, which doesn't work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd be amazed if it has worked in testing - I suspect it's never been tested with syncing turned on.

Obviously turning syncing off isn't an option, so how can this be made to work?

Mark

#7 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:48 PM

This simply doesn't work if you have iDisk syncing turned on.

The issue is that you can't unmount a synced iDisk, yet you also can't load the site from the local copy of the disk because the "Web" folder isn't held locally - it's just a shortcut. The tool therefore tries to mount a second copy of the disk, which doesn't work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd be amazed if it has worked in testing - I suspect it's never been tested with syncing turned on.

Obviously turning syncing off isn't an option, so how can this be made to work?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry, but the only way to get it work in its current state is to turn syncing off OR export to a local folder and publish to your iDisk from within iWeb SEO Tool.

#8 Mac Berry

Mac Berry

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Thanks, but obvioulsy turning syncing off isn't possible, as it's a key feature of MobileMe, and as I understand it I'll lose blog comments if I publish to a folder?

I think you need to make it absolutely clear that the tool isn't compatible with a core function of MobileMe; I nearly bought your video on the back of the tool, which would have been a complete waste of money given that I can't use it.

Mark

#9 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, but obvioulsy turning syncing off isn't possible, as it's a key feature of MobileMe, and as I understand it I'll lose blog comments if I publish to a folder?

I think you need to make it absolutely clear that the tool isn't compatible with a core function of MobileMe; I nearly bought your video on the back of the tool, which would have been a complete waste of money given that I can't use it.

Mark

Mark,

You can turn off syncing while you use iWeb SEO Tool and then turn it back on.

Also, the video covers much more about iWeb and SEO. Using iWeb SEO Tool is a very small portion of the video tutorial. We also offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

#10 Mac Berry

Mac Berry

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:50 AM

Mark,

Also, the video covers much more about iWeb and SEO. Using iWeb SEO Tool is a very small portion of the video tutorial. We also offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

Umm, no, you can't!

When you turn syncing off the local copy of your iDisk is moved to your desktop and renamed. When you turn it back on again, a NEW local copy is created, with no way to re-use the old one. That makes it a painfully slow process (about a day in my case, for about 11Gb synced), so iDisk syncing is not a simple switch to be flicked every time you want to use a particular app.

If you turn iDisk syncing off, it's also very easy to lose data, because if everything's not in complete sync when you do it, you have to make sure you manually copy files around on ALL synced computers. The more often you turn it off and on, the greater the risk of missing something, so suggesting using it as a simple switch is a very bad idea.

I don't see how offering a money back guarantee means you don't need to make the limitations of your app clear? I do appreciate that this tool is free, but it's not non-commercial, because a lot of people will buy the video on the back of finding the tool, as I nearly did. The value of the video is reduced if you can't use the tool, so you need to make it clear whether or not I'll be able to.

The bottom line is that iDisk syncing is a major feature of MobileMe, and you're offering a tool to work with MobileMe. I fully accept that there may be limitations you simply can't overcome, but not testing your app alongside all MobileMe features (it's obvious from your answers above that you haven't), and worse still giving advice that can result in lost data/severe inconvenience, is irresponsible.

At the very least you need to understand how it works, so you can give accurate answers here.

Why do you need to mount the iDisk anyway; why can't you simply communicate with it online, like iWeb does?

Alternatively, is there any workaround for the lost comments issue, so I can try the "publish to folders" option?

Mark

Edited by Mac Berry, 25 March 2010 - 03:59 AM.

#11 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

Mark,

Umm, no, you can't!

When you turn syncing off the local copy of your iDisk is moved to your desktop and renamed. When you turn it back on again, a NEW local copy is created, with no way to re-use the old one. That makes it a painfully slow process (about a day in my case, for about 11Gb synced), so iDisk syncing is not a simple switch to be flicked every time you want to use a particular app.

If you turn iDisk syncing off, it's also very easy to lose data, because if everything's not in complete sync when you do it, you have to make sure you manually copy files around on ALL synced computers. The more often you turn it off and on, the greater the risk of missing something, so suggesting using it as a simple switch is a very bad idea.

I don't see how offering a money back guarantee means you don't need to make the limitations of your app clear? I do appreciate that this tool is free, but it's not non-commercial, because a lot of people will buy the video on the back of finding the tool, as I nearly did. The value of the video is reduced if you can't use the tool, so you need to make it clear whether or not I'll be able to.

The bottom line is that iDisk syncing is a major feature of MobileMe, and you're offering a tool to work with MobileMe. I fully accept that there may be limitations you simply can't overcome, but not testing your app alongside all MobileMe features (it's obvious from your answers above that you haven't), and worse still giving advice that can result in lost data/severe inconvenience, is irresponsible.

At the very least you need to understand how it works, so you can give accurate answers here.

Why do you need to mount the iDisk anyway; why can't you simply communicate with it online, like iWeb does?

Alternatively, is there any workaround for the lost comments issue, so I can try the "publish to folders" option?

Mark

Mark,

You are right, I have never used iDisk syncing. But this is the realities of the software so you have a trade off here.

I didn't say that the 30 day money back guarantee makes the limitations of the software clear. I just wanted to point out that you wouldn't be taking a risk of buying the video since we offer a money back guarantee and you wouldn't be left with a product you cannot use.

Secondly, the video instructs you to get a real web host and does not use MobileMe. Apple does not allow commercial websites on its MobileMe servers and they are not a good fit for search engines. There would be nothing you cannot use in the video if you were to buy it.

We provide alternative and MUCH better solutions to blogging than what is provided by iWeb as well.

Back to the syncing issue, yes this is a limitation of the software but we are doing the best we can do with what Apple provides. They did not make iWeb search engine friendly out of the box and we have worked hard to offer a free tool that works around these issues. Unfortunately there is a trade off here for you that you will have to decide if it is worth it for you to use.

#12 Chaso

Chaso

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

Hi Everyone..
Thankyou Rage for making a formerly great product..and being kind enough to make it free is a bonus.
i have used it before and found it worked ok with idisc..but since uploading to Snow Leopard i'm getting exactly the same symptons as people on this thread.
And i have to agree with Mark..you cant just turn off isyncing it took me a day to reinstall 12gb off the server last time.
Is there an update to this thread yet?
Chas
UK

#13 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hi Everyone..
Thankyou Rage for making a formerly great product..and being kind enough to make it free is a bonus.
i have used it before and found it worked ok with idisc..but since uploading to Snow Leopard i'm getting exactly the same symptons as people on this thread.
And i have to agree with Mark..you cant just turn off isyncing it took me a day to reinstall 12gb off the server last time.
Is there an update to this thread yet?
Chas
UK

We have just uploaded a beta version of iWeb SEO Tool 1.9 today (June 16, 2010) which will now work with iDisk syncing (as well as optimizing blog pages). You can get it by creating a free beta testers account on trybeta at;

http://www.trybeta.com

You will see it listed there.

NOTE: This is a BETA version which means it is still in testing and has not been officially released. Please report any problems you have with it ASAP so we can fix them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users