6 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Gunter-Smith

Brock Gunter-Smith

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

Newbie question here. I bought the app yesterday. Imported 2,800+ of my domains form my primary accounts. I selected them and clicked the "Update Domain Details" button at the top of the app. The app then immediately took up 100% of the resources on one CPU core, which I took as a good sign that it was busy trying to update all the domains with their basic stats/info. However, 16 hours later, I checked my machine and the CPU was still pegged. The application was only barely responsive and no records had been updated. I force quit the app, no information had been updated/saved (perhaps because I force quite it hadn't been doing incremental saves of the data) and when I tried updating individual domains the app was very sluggish.

What am I doing wrong? :-) What is the optimal process for importing and then getting all domains updated with PageRank, Link data...etc. Does the app have a ceiling for the size of the portfolio it can efficiently handle?

Looking for tips and tricks here as the app looks quite nice.

-> Brock

#2 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

The next free update optimizes the updating of domains. It should be released shortly. If you create a free account at the following url, you will see one of the beta releases. Let me know if it provides a better experience;

http://www.trybeta.com/home/

#3 Brock Gunter-Smith

Brock Gunter-Smith

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

http://www.trybeta.com/home/

I grabbed it, installed it, tried updating my domains...and so far with the same results. It maxes out one of the CPU cores (now going on 2.5 hours) and very little to show in the way of updates. I'll keep it running all day/night today and report back tomorrow morning. What sort of throughput do you normally see? (e.g. 10 domains/minute) Does the app try to do all updates simultaneously or does it iterate through them one by one or in batches? It almost seems like it's trying to do them all at once...or something of that kind, otherwise I can't see why it's got the CPU pegged for so long.

Anyhow, I'll report back tomorrow, but so far it's looking about the same as with the current release version.

-> Brock

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

How fast it goes really depends on your internet connection. It is doing three things at once at any given time, but is doing them for one domain.

When I update around 100 domains here on my MacBook Pro it goes for about 5 minutes or so. 2800 domains is a lot to go through for any system. We should have a new beta with a few more optimizations up in a few hours.

To give you an idea of what it does, it has to load every one of your websites and take a screen shot in the background. So think how long it would talk you to reload a single page 2800 times while waiting for the entire page to load each time before refreshing. Plus it must connect to about half a dozen web services to grab the domain details and then grab the whois information for each domain. So it is doing a lot.

On my machine, Safari takes between 15-50% of the CPU just to load a web page (depending on which site I am loading). These are just temporary spikes and you should see it go up and down.

#5 Brock Gunter-Smith

Brock Gunter-Smith

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Excellent, definitely makes sense and explains some of what I'm seeing. I'm seeing very little internet traffic from the App (just watching it through Activity Monitor and Little Snitch), but I can appreciate that if it's using WebKit to render the page it'll consume some CPU time to do it. I'll look for the new beta tomorrow and again leave my current process running until tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks.

#6 ConQQ

ConQQ

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:45 PM

To give you an idea of what it does, it has to load every one of your websites and take a screen shot in the background.

You can make the possibility of downloading information on the domain without "screen shot" for sites

#7 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

You can make the possibility of downloading information on the domain without "screen shot" for sites

We will add this for the next free update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users