10 replies to this topic

#1 nielsb

nielsb

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

I am a paid MacIntosh Explorer user (or rather I was a user until I grew tired of the slowness, etc). I am now running a MacBook Pro with 4 Gig of memory and Leopard 10.5.2.

As I said, I gave up on using Macintosh Explorer a month or two after I had paid for it, due to all issues - this was probably a year or more ago. I do however have been coming back here to see if anything has improved - as I like the layout etc of Macintosh Explorer - and I've been enticed to come back by the posts from RageSW staff saying that new releases are coming.

Boy was I today when I saw a thread where someone from RageSW mentioned that a beta version existed, and even gave a dl-link. It sounded extra interesting as the post says that many issues have been fixed!!!

Well, I downloaded and installed on a complete virgin Leopard 10.5.2 installation, I started the app, and tried to change to another directory in the hierarchy tree - and the app crashed. I restarted the app, the same thing happened. I restarted the machine - the same thing happened. Looking at the date of the "beta", it is dated from November last year!! The version still says 4.5. So much for a beta!!

So, unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that RageSW has no interest what so ever in delivering a new version of Macintosh Explorer. What irritates me is that they promise, and promise, and promise that a new version are in the works and a beta will be posted soon. Well, when someone slips that there is a beta, it is the same version and half a year old!!

It would be much more honest if RageSW just came out and said that, "sorry, but we cannot deliver on our promises. We won't deliver a new version of Macintosh Explorer".

Niels

#2 BSM

BSM

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

I have a MacBook Pro with 4 GB of memory and running Leopard 10.5.2 and it runs fast for me, never crashes, etc. I also have it running on a MacMini and I do not see the slowness or crashing you see. Maybe you have some software running thats taking up resources or conflicting with Mac Explorer. Also I use it heavily as I'm a web designer and software developer and ran this software through some heavy tasks without crashing...

Edited by BSM, 15 March 2008 - 11:40 PM.

#3 nielsb

nielsb

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

I have a MacBook Pro with 4 GB of memory and running Leopard 10.5.2 and it runs fast for me, never crashes, etc. I also have it running on a MacMini and I do not see the slowness or crashing you see. Maybe you have some software running thats taking up resources or conflicting with Mac Explorer. Also I use it heavily as I'm a web designer and software developer and ran this software through some heavy tasks without crashing...

Well, as I mentioned - I installed it on a complete virgin installation of Leopard 10.5.2, so the theory of interfering software is probably unfortunately in-correct.

I'm really happy for you that your installation runs OK. However, from the various posts here, you may be the exception of the rule. I.e. quite a few people reports issues, and as I mentioned in my original post, even staff from RAGE says that the beta version were supposed to fix many issues. By the way, are you running the beta or the original 4.5? If you are running the beta, what version number does it have?

Niels

#4 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

Hi Niels,

I want to apologize for keeping you and everybody else waiting on an update to Mac Explorer.

It is true that it has not gotten the attention it deserves. I hate to make excuses but we actually ran into some real trouble with our development environment and the Macintosh Explorer code and recently, a few weeks ago, had it fixed.

We do have a newer, internal beta version in house. I will see if we can get it posted somewhere this week.

Again, I apologize for this and hopefully will get an update out soon.

On another note, when you say it is slow, where exactly do you see the slowness? There is sometimes an issue when you have an iDisk mounted and you try and scroll the left folder list. Could this be the cause?

Also, have you been sending the crash reports to us? Are these crashes that quit Mac Explorer and require that you re start it, or are they error messages that allow you to Continue working?

#5 nielsb

nielsb

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

Hi, thank you so much for your reply - much appreciated!

Also, have you been sending the crash reports to us? Are these crashes that quit Mac Explorer and require that you re start it, or are they error messages that allow you to Continue working?

No, I haven't sent any crash-reports. What happened was that I saw the post about the beta 46b2 (which says version 4.5 in the About box):
1. installed it on a completely new Leopard 10.5.2 installation
2. In the directory/volume treeview tried to change to another directory/volume
3. The app crashed - with no error messages
4. I restarted the app and tried to do the same thing - app crash
5. I re-booted the machine, started the app, tried to do the same - app crash
6. I dragged the app to the trash and wrote the original post in this thread.

Niels

#6 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:12 PM

We just posted another beta at;

http://ragedownload....xplorer46b3.zip

If you get a crash, please send it to us through the form at http://www.ragesw.com/support/ so that we can get this fixed for you.

#7 Richard A Higgins

Richard A Higgins

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:14 AM

I just tried the new beta version. You added one thing I couldn't understand wasn't in the earlier version, a way to change views without having to go to the menu bar. Anyway, the program lasted about one minute before a crash and burn. No error message; it just went away asking for more information about the crash to be sent to Apple.

#8 johnd39

johnd39

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

Where do I get the current beta?

Please email me when the new beta comes out. My main issues are;

No drag and drop to trash
Renaming cause strange letters until another folder is selected
No option to ‘replace all’
Selected size of window does not save and open as previous, always opens at default size which is too small

Are these addressed in the beta?

johnd

#9 printmkr

printmkr

RAGE User

• RAGE Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

forget about it. I bought this product regrettably, and they haven't done @#$% with it for over a year. How about stepping up and offering refunds?

#10 RageSW

RageSW

Administrator

• RAGE Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

We posted the beta version 2 weeks ago which fixes many problems. There are many issues with building a file manager on Mac OS X, with all the changes apple makes with each release. We are still working on it. Expect some more betas, and a final release soon.

#11 baweeks

baweeks

RAGE Newbie

• RAGE Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

We posted the beta version 2 weeks ago which fixes many problems. There are many issues with building a file manager on Mac OS X, with all the changes apple makes with each release. We are still working on it. Expect some more betas, and a final release soon.

I'll add myself to the list of people who have been "bugged" by how often Macintosh Explorer crashes. It is the closest thing I've ever seen to the old "DiskTop" application on the Classic Mac. In principle, Macintosh Explorer is a >terrifically useful< tool. But in reality, it just plain crashes too much. Will try the beta (46b3) and see how it does. Will delete prefs even though it will require me to re-install the license code. Question: is there anything else 'sides deleting the prefs file to see if the beta will be less crashy? Question: what email to send the crash reporter output to?
Thanks.
Brian A. Weeks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users